EDUCATIONAL MEETINGS OF: MANAGEMENT
Participant profile: Directors/Managers responsible for ERP/MRP class systems selection
Analysed IT solutions:
- ERP – Enterprise Resource Planning
- BI – Business Intelligence
- DMS – Document Management System
Currently, a few dozen ERP class IT systems (classified) are available on the Polish market, offered by several hundred suppliers. The systems support organisation management in almost all areas of its activities, such as: accounting, finance, personnel and payroll, production, supply, warehouse management and logistics, sales planning implementation. The vast majority of the offered solutions has a modular structure. However, applications combining functionalities within one platform are becoming increasingly prevalent. The boundary between modules is becoming blurred, and solutions are optimized in terms of efficiency and operational speed.
ERP class solutions manufacturers, systematically expand applications with new functionalities, adapting them to the specific nature of a particular industry. Many suppliers create their own applications that supplement the functionality of the basic solutions, adapting them to the operating profiles of individual companies. Suppliers classify the functionalities within ERP class solutions in various ways.
Main benefits from the use of ERP class systems:
- Increased employee and entire company effectiveness;
- Improvement in company cost, employee and processes control;
- Growth in sales;
- Improvement in customer service quality;
- Reduction of warehouse inventory;
- Safe gathering of confidential data;
- Efficient exchange of information between employees.
Business Intelligence systems support making key decisions at the management level, by analyzing collected business information from different areas of the company. They support management by forecasting, forecast execution, and evaluation of the present business situation of the enterprise. Business analytics is of special importance in companies with many branches, extended partner network, or diversified product operations. A properly implemented BI class system has, in its structure, a data warehouse, which in turn is integrated with other software in the company. Business analytics includes areas such as: benchmarking, statistics, business reporting, operational research, econometrics, databases, analytics, artificial intelligence, date mining.
Main benefits from the use of BI class systems:
- Improvement in customer service quality and growth in sales;
- Support in undertaking key investments based on analytical reports;
- The possibility of sales forecasting;
- Permanent access to critical information of each substantive area in the company.
The DMS class systems enable the processing and archiving of documents generated by companies. Their main purpose is to minimize the quantity of paper documentation in favour of electronic archives. Document processing refers both to internal copies of various substantive areas, as well as those delivered outside (invoices, correspondence, orders, various kinds of official letters). The DMS class systems particularly support the area of knowledge gathering and organizing. They facilitate work for companies, national institutions and offices. In the case of an inspection, the required documents may very quickly be identified and restored, along with their circulation history within the company.
Main benefits from using DMS class systems:
- Time savings during organization, gathering and searching through documentation functioning in paper form;
- A possibility of continuous document control in the company;
- A possibility of product project management;
- A possibility of integration with office applications;
- Streamlining work in accounting, personnel, quality control departments.